Space heaters are one of the efficient and most reliable ways to warm up a particular area of your sweet home and thereby making it more cozy and comfortable. It is a ‘must have’ appliance in the house especially during winter.
While purchasing a space heater, you need to consider a lot many aspects like type of heater, energy efficiency (after all you can not burn your pocket!!), area of the room that you want to heat up, installation and safety features.
When you have so many options, deciding to buy the single product that matches your requirement is obviously not going to be easy. Relax; we are here to assist you.
We, best space heater are a website that gives you an unbiased review of various space heater available in the market along with general information that you may need to know about space heaters.
No matter, whether you want to buy a heater for your bedroom, bathroom, garage or a portable one for camping “Best Space Heater website“ is your ultimate friend.
Top Ten Best Space Heaters Comparison Table
SPACE HEATER BUYING GUIDE
Do you really need to read a buying guide before buying something online? Yes and absolutely yes. Especially when you are purchasing a space heater you need to be extra careful since there is a risk of fire hazards. Even the size of the room where you need the space heater also matters the most.
So, even if you are not a big time researcher, we advise you to spend some time in knowing the factors to be considered while buying a space heater which is definitely going to help you in finding the best space heater for you.
SPACE HEATER BUYING CHECKLIST
Size of the room or the area
What is the size of the room or the area in sq ft that you want to heat up? Yes, the dimension matters a lot. It is a simple fact that larger the area more time and power consumption for heating it up.
Remember, this rule applies if the space heater you want to buy is the only primary heat source. If you are going to use it as a supplemental heating source, then the heater will cover a much larger area.
It is natural that we expect the space heater to produce more heat. The heat level is measured in WATT, AMPS or BTU. The higher a heater’s BTU rating, the better it’s heating performance.
A BTU nothing but the amount of energy needed to heat 1 pound of water to 1 degree Fahrenheit.
If a heater’s BTU rating is not mentioned, it can be easily calculated it using this equation.
Design and different features available
One of the main things to expect from a space heater is to maintain the preset temperature. The thermostat is what helps it in doing this.
The thermostat of a space heater will be either programmable or adjustable.
A programmable thermostat allows you to set the required temperature and accordingly turns the heater on and off to maintain the room temperature.
Whereas an adjustable thermostat would not allow you to preset the temperature but only regulate the heat output based on your selection. Usually, such thermostat will have a knob or a switch to adjust the heat output to low or high.
Other useful Features available in a space heater
- Wheels and Easy-Grip Handle: Lightweight models with wheels, easy grip handles offer easy mobility and thus make carrying them around easy.
- Programmable Timers: Using timer you can turn on the space heater every day at the same time and turn it off at the time of your choice. It is a wise choice to set the heater to turn on and off at certain times to save energy and use it only when it’s needed. Suppose you are at work whole day and want the heater to be on only a few minutes before you are back home, then you can set the timer accordingly.
- Automatic Oscillation: Oscillation ensures even distribution of heat throughout the room.
- Multiple Heat Settings: Every individual has their own preferences and keeping that in mind, some of the models of space heaters allows multiple heat setting from low to high.
- Energy-Saving Modes: Eco mode operates in the mode that reduces energy usage and cost.
- AC and Fan-only modes: You can use space heater even during summer since some of the advanced models can act as an AC or Fan for year-round use.
- Air purifier: If you are one among those who fall sick quite often due to winter allergies then search for space heater models with air purifiers. However, most of the winter allergies are due to dust particles. When you use space heaters in a dusty area, it keeps on circulating the dusty air throughout the night. This is what causes the sickness. Regularly dusting your room will help you to some extent.
- Remote Control: Sometimes temperature drops drastically in the night and the preset temperature may not be enough to keep you warm throughout the night. In such situations, you may need to get up with frozen nose and change the settings manually. Some models of space heaters do come with remote control and are of great use since you can change the heat settings or the timer according to your convenience from where you are.
- Tip-Over Protection Switch: This feature is a must according to me since it automatically shuts off the space heater when it is knocked over. Keep this feature in mind when you have impulsive pets or kids around.
- Cool-to-the-Touch: Heat resistant exterior is to avoid the risk of burn injuries caused by touching the heater. After all space heaters are to keep you warm not to burn!!!
- ECO function: The feature is to save energy. Economical warmth is assured by automatically adjusting heat and power settings.
- Overheat Protection Switch: It is nothing but automatic shut off when the heater’s internal parts reach the unsafe temperature that may lead to an unfortunate fire hazard.
Most of the space heaters available in the market today are elegantly designed. They sit like a show piece in your room and blends beautifully with the surrounding décor. Some of the wall mounting fireplaces are sure to attract your guest’s attention giving them beautiful visual impact.
I am sure, you want to heat up the room but not at the cost of burning your pocket!!
It is not only the price of the space heater you buy that matters, but the monthly electric bill is what you need to consider while doing the cost analysis.
For example, a 1,500-watt portable space heater that runs for 12 hours a day at a rate of $0.10 per kilowatt-hour will cost $1.80 per day, nothing but $54 a month.
Space heaters are mostly useful during the night to have a good sleep after the long hours at work and any noise during those precious hours is going to be definitely annoying.
Most of the advanced models today operate noiselessly.
TYPES OF SPACE HEATERS
Space heaters are mainly of two types based on the method in which the heat is being transferred to the required space i.e., by convection and by radiation.
CONVECTION SPACE HEATERS
Convection space heaters warm the surrounding air directly. Convection heaters can be electric or oil filled. Some of the convection heaters are fan assisted in circulating the hot air throughout the room.
Oil filled convection space heater
Oil filled heaters will have permanently sealed oil reservoir and never need refilling. They take quite some time to heat up but once warmed up they are sure to keep the area warm consistently.
Ceramic fan assisted electric convection space heater
It is one of the newest convection heaters in the market. Ceramic heaters are made up of ceramic plates and aluminum baffles. Upon passing electricity, ceramic plates get heated. This heat is then absorbed by the aluminum and a fan blows the hot air into your room. The fan helps to circulate the warm air around the room.
RADIATIVE/INFRARED SPACE HEATERS
As the name suggests, radiative space heaters give off infrared radiations. The heat is absorbed directly by objects and not by the ambient air. In short, they heat what they pointed at. This is why infrared heaters are fast in action.
Radiative/Infrared quartz space heater
Infrared quartz space heaters are more energy efficient when used to heat only a small part of a room. This is because; quartz heaters are more effective at distributing the heat primarily to a particular area of a small room. Such heaters are ideal to use when you are watching tv lying on the couch or working at your desk.
Quartz heaters are effective only 10-15 feet distance from the object or person being heated.
According to the latest report released by the NFPA (national Fire Protection Association), space heaters involved in 79% of fatal home heating fires.
Sorry, I am not giving these statistics to scare you and if you are now thinking not to buy a space heater, after reading this news, wait, you don’t have to. If you follow the safety measures while installing and using space heaters, you will be pretty safe in your cozy warm house.
Never leave the space heaters unsupervised. Kids and pets tend to be much impulsive and unpredictable most of the time. Learn which space heaters are safe to use in your tiny toddler’s room. Always be around when the space heater is turned on and never leave it unattended for a long time.